Liste der Denkzeichen

Altenzeller Str. 41
Ab 1940 eines der “Judenhäuser”, deren Bewohner im Laufe der Jahre 1942/43 deportiert wurden.

One of the Judenhäuser [Jewish houses] in which Jewish Dresdeners were forced to live in 1940. The residents of this residential building, which was designated a Judenhaus in 1940, were deported in the course of 1942/43.

Soon after 1933, the housing associations stopped accepting Jews as new members and attempted to sue their Jewish members out of their existing tenancies. Not only had the Baugesellschaft für die Residenzstadt Dresden AG cancelled all Jewish tenants, but the mayor of Dresden had also issued notices of termination against Jews on municipal properties.

There were so many terminations that the Jewish community found itself unable to house all the homeless people on its properties.

From 1 April 1940, the house became one of the so-called Judenhäuser [Jewish houses] in which Jewish families were forced to live. When the deportations began in January 1942, the number of Judenhäuser was steadily reduced. In January 1945, only 8 of the former 37 houses remained.

On 23 November 1942, the following residents of Altenzeller Str. 41 were sent to the Hellerberg camp: Katharina Aronade, Margarethe Kronheim, Gertrud and Heinrich Preuß, Elfriede and Hugo Schleimer, Käthe Voß, Charlotte Wechselmann. They were deported from there to Auschwitz on 3 March 1943, where they perished. Only Franz Steinberg survived. (Source: [“Zeitschrift ‘Grund- und Hauseigentum’ 1940: Reinliche Scheidung von Juden und Ariern mit 32 festgelegten ‘Judenhäusern’”] in „Die Erinnerung hat ein Gesicht“, Leipzig 1998, S.131)

Moritzstr. 1b
1885-1937 in der 1. Etage Fraternitasloge des Unabhängigen Ordens Bne Brith mit Schwesternbund. Betsaal für orthodoxe Gemeindegottesdienste

Fraternitas Lodge

The first German-Jewish association of the Independent Order of Bnei Brith (‘Children of the Covenant’) was founded in Berlin in 1882. The organisation aimed to promote tolerance and humanity in society and to support those in need.

The Dresden chapter, the “Fraternitasloge” [Fraternitas Lodge], was founded in 1885.

This was followed in 1902 by the Sisters‘ Association of the Fraternitas Lodge. The Fraternitas Lodge rented the first floor of Moritzstraße 1b for its lodge rooms. The holiday home at Karpatenstr. 20, Oberrochwitz, which opened in 1908, was their main work. The Sisters‘ Union organised the holiday stays there.

The Fraternitas Lodge dedicated itself to the social tasks arising from immigration after the First World War and the economic crisis. In Rietschelstraße, it set up the Jewish crèche. At Moritzstraße 1b, the Schwesternbund offered weekly home evenings for working Jewish girls. Vocational training was organised for immigrant Eastern Jewish girls.

Dresden’s Jewish Youth Association was founded in 1919 and also met here regularly.

From 1920, Rabbi Dr Albert Wolf was president of the Fraternitas Lodge. Every Friday and Saturday, Jewish services were held in the hall according to the old rite by ‘Adass Jeschurun’, the orthodox organisation within the Dresden Jewish religious community.

On 10 April 1937, the Fraternitas lodge was banned and its premises were taken over by the city.

Picture: Girls‘ club (community magazine 10/1927)

 

Ziegelstr. 12
Der Verein “Schomre Hadas” richtete im Hinterhaus eine Mikwe (Ritualbad) ein, die 1938 zerstört wurde. (früher Ziegelstraße 54)

Ziegelstr. 12: House of the „Schomre Hadas“ association with prayer room and bath (mikvah)

Ziegelstraße 54: The residents of this residential building, which was designated a Judenhaus [Jewish House] in 1940, were deported in the course of 1942/43. 

Tafel 1

Many poor people lived in the Pirnaische Vorstadt until its destruction in 1945. Many of the Jewish residents of this neighbourhood were also dependent on support.

At Ziegelstraße 54 there was a four-storey house with a bath in the rear building, the “Wilhelmsbad“, which was established in 1898.

In 1919, the „Schomre Hadas“ („Guardians of the Law“) association was founded to promote orthodox Jewish life.

In 1921, the association bought the house and built a mikvah, a ritual immersion bath, in the basement of the baths. The ritual bath was well attended for many years.

A prayer room was set up on the ground floor of the front building. Rabbi Horowitz worked here. The association supervised the kosher butcher’s shops in Dresden. During the Weimar Republic, Ziegelstraße no. 54 developed into a centre of Jewish Orthodox life in Dresden.

Bildunterschrift

Postcard from around 1910 (front right, house no. 41)

Tafel 2

On 9 November 1938, the mikvah was destroyed by an angry crowd. The windows of the prayer room on the ground floor were smashed and the police officer in charge stood by without intervening. The house was not set on fire because the National Socialists feared that the fire would spread to the neighbouring buildings. On 30 April 1939, the Reich government passed the „Gesetz über Mietverhältnisse mit Juden“ [Law on Tenancies with Jews].

On 1 May 1940, the city of Dresden obliged all Jewish residents to move into one of the 32 designated Judenhäuser. This house was one of them, as was Ziegelstraße 41.

The house was destroyed in the air raids on 13 February 1945.

Bildunderschrift

Site plan with old and new buildings.

Tafel 3

Who lived here:

The Diamantenstein family, they were deported to Poland on 28 October 1938.

The Nussenbaum family came here from Bautzen in 1940, they were taken away on 19 January 1942 and deported to Riga. Hencie Herzberg and the siblings Martha and Rina David were sent to the Hellerberg camp in November 1942, from where they were deported to Auschwitz on 3 March 1943 and murdered. Other residents were Simon Willy Ehrlich, Paul Martin and Klara Friedländer, the Erster family, Henriette Schreiber, Jakob Mulmann and Karl Kohn, Simon Zwecher.

From the report by Isidor Nussenbaum (born 1927)

Drei weitere jüdische Familien teilten sich damals mit uns die Wohnung im unteren Geschoss der Ziegelstraße 54. Alle benutzten gemeinsam eine Küche und ein Badezimmer. Hier lebten Frau Kalb und ihr ein Jahr altes Baby, aber auch Kronheims, ein frisch verheiratetes Paar mit einem kleinen Kind, sowie ein älteres Ehepaar […] mit einem russischen Familiennamen” [Three other Jewish families shared the flat on the lower floor of Ziegelstraße 54 with us at the time. They all shared a kitchen and a bathroom. Mrs Kalb and her one-year-old baby lived here, as well as Kronheims, a newly married couple with a small child, and an older couple […] with a Russian surname.]

Tafel 4: Excerpt from themed city map

 

Bautzner Str. 20
Eines der letzten “Judenhäuser”. Das Haus beherbergte nach 1945 den ersten Betsaal und war Sitz der Jüdischen Gemeinde.

Community centre of the Jewish community in Dresden 1945 – 2001. The first Jewish prayer hall was located here after 1945.

From 1911, this residential building belonged to Louis and Henriette Schrimmer, who ran a factory for shoe polish and chemical products in the rear building.

In 1937, the Jewish Religious Community of Dresden bought the house from them.

In 1938, all the Jewish shopkeepers had to give up their businesses.

The community used the factory premises as a welding training workshop until it was forbidden to do so. It set up a clothing store for the needy in the rear building.

From 1 April 1940, the house was one of the so-called Judenhäuser [Jewish houses] in which Jewish families were forced to live.

Louis and Henriette Schrimmer were deported from here to Theresienstadt on 25 August 1942 and were killed there.

In May 1945, after the liberation, the house was returned to the Jewish community by the Soviet military administration.

The congregation reconstituted itself here on 1 November 1945. In addition to Dresden, it was now also responsible for Dippoldiswalde, Pirna, Hoyerswerda, Großenhain, Meißen, Freiberg, Bautzen, Bischofswerda, Görlitz and Zittau. From 1945, the first chairman was Leon Löwenkopf, who had returned home, until he fled again in 1953.

A prayer room was set up on the second floor.

The congregation’s tasks included church services, caring for the elderly and sick, and searching for relatives and former members of the congregation. For many members, the congregation replaced their lost family.

Until 2001, when the congregation moved to the new community centre on Hasenberg, the communal rooms, administration and Jewish welfare services were located here.

 

Schießgasse/Polizeipräsidium
Polizeipräsidium und Haftanstalt, die zwischen 1933 und 1945 von der Polizei und der Gestapo gemeinsam genutzt wurde.
Erinnerung an Horst Weigmann, der beim Versuch seine Mutter vor der Deportation zu retten, umkam.

Police headquarters and prison

„Wenn ihr euch meine Ängste in der Einsamkeit vorstellen könntet“ [If you could imagine my fears in solitude]

The Dresden police headquarters building was put into operation in 1901. Between 1933 and 1945, the police and Gestapo used it as a remand prison and to enforce prison sentences. By extending protective custody indefinitely, they had a means of arbitrarily detaining so-called enemies of the state. Dresden police headquarters became a place of state terror where denunciations, disenfranchisement and murder were carried out.

The criminal police and Gestapo monitored compliance with the discriminatory bans against Jews using patrols and house searches. However, a report by the Dresden Gestapo in 1935 also stated: “Die rassische Politik und Propaganda stößt in vielen Bevölkerungskreisen auf Verständnis und ist bereits in vielen Fällen ein Ansporn zur Mitarbeit gewesen.“ [The racial policy and propaganda is met with understanding in many sections of the population and has already been an incentive to cooperate in many cases.].

The remand prison was often a stopover for transports to a concentration camp, such as on the night of November 9-10, 1938, when 151 Jewish men were deported to Buchenwald concentration camp. There were numerous violent deaths during imprisonment. Otto Kastner, from whose farewell letter the introductory lines are taken, took his own life here in prison on February 21, 1938.

 

Radeburger Straße
„Judenlager Hellerberg“
Nov. 1942 durch Gestapo, NSDAP und Goehlewerk eingerichtet. Am 2./3. März 1943 wurden die Insassen nach Auschwitz-Birkenau deportiert. 1943 – 1945 Entbindungslager für Zwangsarbeiterinnen.

„Hellerberg camp for Jews” 

The Hellerberg camp for Jews was set up on 23/24 November 1942 by Zeiss Ikon AG, the Dresden Gestapo and the district leadership of the NSDAP. It was located between Hammerweg, Radeburger Straße and today’s Stauffenbergallee. The prisoners had to perform forced labour in the Google factory, an armaments factory owned by Zeiss Ikon AG on Großenhainer Straße. On 27 February 1943, Jews from Erfurt, Halle, Leipzig, Plauen and Chemnitz were committed to the camp and the camp was declared a police detention camp. They were deported to Auschwitz on the night of 2 to 3 March.

The camp consisted of 7 barracks. Each of the three rooms in the barracks housed 16 people.

On 23 and 24 November, 293 Jews, families and individuals, were taken from their homes and brought with their permitted luggage first to Fabrikstraße to the municipal decontamination centre, and then by lorry to Radeburger Straße to barracks in a gravel pit. The establishment of the camp was personally supervised by Dresden Gestapo chief Henry Schmidt and filmed by Erich Höhne, the Zeiss Ikon company photographer.

Until the end of the war, the camp was used to accommodate pregnant forced labourers. They gave birth here and then had to return to work. The children died quickly after being neglected.

After the end of the war, the barracks were demolished and the site partially filled in, so that little can be surmised of the complex, the barracks, the fencing and the entrances.

 

Borsbergstr. 14
Wohnung und Praxis von Dr. Willy Katz, dem einzigen zwischen 1938 und 1945 zugelassenen jüdischen Arzt in Dresden.

Flat and practice of Dr Willy Katz (17 December 1878, Brieg – 13 January 1947, Dresden)

Willy Katz studied medicine in Berlin and Vienna, obtained his licence to practise medicine in Berlin in 1905 and completed his doctorate in Greifswald in 1906. In 1909, Dr Willy Katz set up as a general practitioner on the ground floor of the house at Borsbergstraße 14. During the First World War, he served as a staff doctor in the reserves. In addition to his practice, he worked as a sports doctor for the German Gymnastics Association in Dresden and as head of the Dresden Sports Medical Advice Centre.

In 1933, he was expelled from all medical organisations and associations for being Jewish.

From 1939, he was the only practising Jewish doctor in Dresden. The Jews of Dresden were only allowed to consult him. He was also responsible for the Jewish school, the so-called Judenhäuser [Jewish Houses], the Jewish nursing home and the Hellerberg camp, as long as these facilities still existed.

When the deportations began in January 1942, Dr Katz had to examine the deportees for their ability to walk.

In 1945, after the liberation, he continued his medical work. He was appointed medical officer for Striesen and Blasewitz by the new state government. But the persecution and the physical and mental strain had taken their toll on his health.

He died on 13 January 1947.

Victor Klemperer spoke at his funeral on 20 January 1947:

„Ich habe ihn in seiner Sprechstunde gesehen. Es war eine fürchterliche Arbeit, denn hinter ihm stand immer wieder die teuflische Gestapo, und ihr musste er die Opfer wahrlich aus den Händen, aus den Krallen reißen … Um jeden einzelnen Kranken musste er ringen. Dabei wurde er trotz seines vorbildlichen Mühens um die armen verzweifelten Menschen, für die er sorgte, und für die er sein möglichstes tat, oft gar noch verdächtigt und beschuldigt, nicht alles getan zu haben, was er hätte tun können… Er hat dabei oft genug sein eigenes Leben aufs Spiel gesetzt. Ich werde ihm das für Zeit und Ewigkeit niemals vergessen. [I saw him in his consulting hours. It was a terrible job, because the diabolical Gestapo was always behind him, and he really had to snatch the victims out of their hands, out of their claws … He had to fight for every single patient. Despite his exemplary endeavours for the poor, desperate people he cared for and for whom he did his utmost, he was often even suspected and accused of not having done everything he could have done… He put his own life at risk often enough. I will never forget him for time and eternity.]

Some ordinances that curtailed Dr Katz’s life

31 March 1933: Instruction from the Dresden Personnel Office to all municipal offices:

„Sämtliche Beschäftigte jüdischer Rasse […] sollen aus den Diensten der Stadt entfernt werden [] …Soweit bei Ärzten Kollektivverträge mit den Ärztevereinen bestehen, ist dafür Sorge zu tragen, daß jüdische Ärzte nicht mehr tätig werden. [All employees of Jewish race […] are to be removed from the services of the city. […] … Insofar as collective agreements with the medical associations exist for doctors, it must be ensured that Jewish doctors are no longer employed.]

7 April 1933: “Gesetz zur Wiederherstellung des Berufsbeamtentums“ [Law for the Restoration of the Professional Civil Service]: Civil servants who are of non-Aryan descent are to be retired. Exceptions are made for those who fought in the First World War. The law is also applied to panel doctors shortly afterwards.

30 September 1938: Revocation of licence to practise and thus professional ban for all Jewish doctors; only a few are permitted to provide medical care to Jewish patients as so-called “jüdische Krankenbehandler” [Jewish medical practitioners] on revocation.

18 July 1939: Circular from the Association of Statutory Health Insurance Physicians in Germany, Greater Dresden district office, to all health insurance companies that Dr Willy Katz is to take over the treatment of Jewish patients with compulsory health insurance with immediate effect.

19 September 1941: The „Polizeiverordnung über die Kennzeichnung der Juden [Police Ordinance on the Identification of Jews] comes into force.

 

Bayrische Str. 16, früher Bismarckstr. 16/18
Dresdner Leitstelle der Gestapo, von der die staatspolizeilichen Maßnahmen gegen die jüdischen Bürger Dresdens gesteuert wurden.

Bayrische Strasse 16, formerly: Bismarckstr. 16/18: Dresden Gestapo control centre from 1937 – 1945

When the southern suburbs were being developed at the end of the 19th century, the Hotel Continental was built at Bismarckstraße 16/18, now Bayrische Straße, and opened in 1897. It existed until 1934. The Gestapo, a department of the police, was initially based at Schießgasse 7 and was part of the police headquarters in organisational terms

In 1937, the Dresden control centre of the Gestapo took over the building and converted it for itself and its purposes. The Gestapo’s existence was not secret, but its actual working methods were opaque. It defined enemies of the state and persecuted them, using threats, surveillance, protective custody and killing. All of these measures were usually ordered and carried out without review by courts or other administrative authorities. Those persecuted included political opponents, Jews, homosexuals, “work-shy“ people, beggars, alcoholics, Freemasons, Sinti and Roma, Jehovah’s Witnesses and forced labourers. The Gestapo also achieved its effectiveness through the support of a section of the population; the willingness to denounce was enormous.

Dresden’s Department IV B4 coordinated the deportation of Jews to Riga on 21 January 1942, the establishment of the Hellerberg camp in November 1942 and the deportation of inmates to Auschwitz on 3 March 1943, as well as directing the ten transports from Dresden to Theresienstadt.

The building burned down on 13 February 1945. Branches of the Gestapo existed until the end of the war.

 

Ordinances:

4 February 1933 The “Verordnung des Reichspräsidenten zum Schutze des Deutschen Volkes” [Reich President’s Decree for the Protection of the German People] restricted freedom of assembly and freedom of the press.

28 February 1933 The “Verordnung des Reichspräsidenten zum Schutz von Volk und Staat [Reich President’s Decree for the Protection of the People and the State] suspended fundamental rights. Political opponents of the regime could be taken into protective custody indefinitely.

24 March 1933 “Ermächtigungsgesetz” [Enabling Act] – The government was able to pass laws with the de facto elimination of the Reichstag. These could deviate from the constitution and came into force the day after they were promulgated.

26 April 1933 “Gesetz zur Errichtung eines geheimen Staatspolizeiamtes” [Law on the establishment of a secret state police office] with the aim of investigating all political endeavours that were dangerous to the state. The Gestapo thus became an independent authority with the power to issue instructions to other police authorities.

30 January 1934 With the “Gesetz über den Neuaufbau des Reiches” [Law on the Reorganisation of the Reich], police sovereignty was transferred from the federal states to the Reich.

1934 The special homosexuality unit was set up at the Gestapo Secret Police Office

1936 Establishment of the organisational structure: the Security Police and Order Police were subordinate to the Reichsführer SS. The Security Police were responsible for Department IV, Investigating and Combating Enemies, and the Criminal Investigation Department for Department V, Combating Crime.

13 and 18 June 1938 More than 10,000 people were arrested and deported to concentration camps as part of the „Arbeitsscheu Reich” [labour shy Reich] campaign against people classified as „asocial“.

1 October 1938 On Himmler’s instructions, a central office was set up in the Reich Criminal Police Office (RKPA) in Berlin to control and coordinate the registration and persecution of Sinti and Roma in the German Reich.

27 September 1939 Gestapo and criminal investigation department were merged with the Security Service (SD) to form the Reich Security Main Office (RSHA)

15 October 1941 Deportations of Jews from the Reich begin.

 

Reports:

Elise Karlowa: Mein Bruder war im April 1933 emigriert. Die Gestapo hatte einen Brief von ihm abgefangen, darin stand der Satz: E. weiß alles. E. war seine Freundin aus der Paradiesstraße. Sie dachten aber, ich sei das. Regelmäßig musste ich mich bei der Gestapo melden.” [My brother had emigrated in April 1933. The Gestapo had intercepted a letter from him with the sentence: E. knows everything. E. was his girlfriend from Paradiesstraße. But they thought it was me. I had to report to the Gestapo regularly.]

Ilse Frischmann: Ein Bergfreund hat mir einen Brief von der Front geschickt, in dem stand: „Ilse halte aus, der Schuppen bricht bald zusammen.“ Aber die haben die Post gelesen, und der Freund ist auf Nimmerwiedersehen verschwunden. Ich bin am 1. Juli 1943 von der Gestapo verhaftet worden und habe in der Schießgasse gesessen. Wie lang das war, kann ich nicht sagen – ich hatte alles Zeitgefühl verloren. Nur durch die Eingangsnummer in Auschwitz hat man rekonstruiert, dass ich etwa im September auf Transport gegangen bin. Mal ging es um die illegalen Kontakte zu den Russen, mal um den Brief von meinem Bergfreund. Meistens wurde aber nur geprügelt… Auch meine Eltern und andere Bewohner des Judenhauses wurden damals von der Gestapo verhaftet.[A friend sent me a letter from the front saying, “Ilse hold out, the shed is about to collapse”. But they read the post and the friend disappeared never to be seen again. I was arrested by the Gestapo on 1 July 1943 and spent time in the Schießgasse. I can’t say how long it was – I had lost all sense of time. They only reconstructed that I went on transport in September or thereabouts from the entry number in Auschwitz. Sometimes it was about illegal contacts with the Russians, sometimes about the letter from my friend. But mostly it was just a beating… My parents and other residents of the Jewish house were also arrested by the Gestapo at the time.]

Horst Weigmann tried to free his mother and was killed in the process. Toni Weigmann was arrested on 8 January 1944 and taken to the prison in Schießgasse. She waited there, together with other Jews, for transport to Theresienstadt. Her son Horst Weigmann tried to save his mother. He went to the prison, posed as Gestapo Commissioner Schmidt and demanded the release of Toni Weigmann and the others who had just been arrested. Meanwhile, the “real” SS man Schmidt appeared. Horst Weigmann was subjected to maltreatment at the police headquarters. His mother was told that he had hanged himself and had to agree to his cremation. Toni Weigmann was deported to the Theresienstadt concentration camp the next day. She survived.

Victor Klemperer: Dort [in der Strehlener Straße] trat die Gestapo 15 Mann stark am Donnerstag oder Sonnabend; also jedenfalls am Tag vor dem Fest, um fünf Uhr an, in einem Augenblick also, wo jeder seine Vorräte eingekauft hatte. Alles, was an Vorräten (Markenvorräten!) gefunden wurde, Fett, Fleisch, Gemüse, wurde mitgenommen. An Prügeln soll es nicht gefehlt haben.” [The Gestapo arrived there [in Strehlener Straße] 15 men strong on Thursday or Saturday; in any case the day before the festival, at five o’clock, at a time when everyone had bought their supplies. Everything that was found in terms of supplies (branded supplies!), fat, meat, vegetables, was taken away. There is said to have been no shortage of beatings.] (7 April 1942)

 

Sporergasse 2
Haus des jüdisch-orthodoxen Vereins “Tomche Nizrochim” mit Betsaal und koscherer Fleischerei, 1940 bis 1945 eines der “Judenhäuser“

Triersches Haus – House of the Jewish Orthodox organisation „Tomche Nizrochim“

The „Tomche Nizrochim“ („Guardians of the Needy“) association was founded here in 1906. It supported Jewish refugees who had fled from pogroms in the East and made it possible for them to worship here according to the customary rite. Hirsch Neumaier was chairman for many years.

A prayer room was set up on the third floor of the residential building with a ritual bath in the basement. Chaim Kleinmann’s kosher meat shop was located on the ground floor.

The association acquired this house in 1920.

In April 1940, the city council set up one of Dresden’s Judenhäuser [Jewish houses] here, in which Jewish families were forced to live before being interned in the Hellerberg camp or deported to other camps. Other families were then moved here.

On 13 February 1945, the house was burned and with it its Jewish residents, who had already received their deportation orders for 16 February, and their relatives. One of the survivors was Hermann Biber. He belonged to the Jewish community that was re-established in the autumn of 1945.

 

Karpatenstr. 20
Seit 1909 jüdisches Kinderferienheim, nach 1933 Ferienheim für Familien, 1938 zugunsten des Landes Sachsen enteignet.

Jewish children’s holiday home 

In 1882, the first German-Jewish association of the Independent Order of Bnei Brith („Brothers of the Covenant“) was founded in Berlin. The organisation aimed to promote tolerance and humanity in society and to support those in need.

In 1885, the Dresden chapter, the „Fraternitasloge“ (Fraternitas Lodge), was founded.

In 1902, this was followed by the „Schwesternbund der Fraternitasloge“ (Sisters of the Fraternity Lodge).

In 1908, the Dresden Fraternitas Lodge built the building at Karpatenstraße 20 as a holiday home for children and adults with the help of the Marie Ascher Foundation. In previous years, the lodge had already organised holiday colonies in rented rooms in Klotzsche, Ullersdorf and Loschwitz.

The holiday home was officially opened at the beginning of July 1909. Representatives of the city attended.

Postcard of the holiday home, around 1909/1910

The president of the Jewish World Organisation of Bnei Brith Lodges, Alfred Cohen, then visited the holiday home together with guests from Leipzig, Chemnitz, Plauen, Breslau and Königsberg,

King Friedrich August III of Saxony also came to visit.

The sisterhood of the Fraternitas Lodge took over the running and professional care of the home, which was open to children of all denominations in need of recreation. Over a hundred children were able to spend their summer holidays here. Children from poor families could stay free of charge. As the number of children increased, from 1927 onwards, two three-week holiday periods were set up for 75 children each. Outside of the holidays, the house was used for recreation by lodge members from all over Germany.

A visit to the holiday home by members of the lodge with their order president („Gemeindeblatt der Israelitischen Religionsgemeinde Dresden“, 28 July 1927, No. 3, p. 2)

From December 1933, the use of the children’s holiday home changed. One part of the house was used as a holiday home for families, while the other was used to teach gardening and housekeeping in preparation for emigration to Palestine. Various language courses were also held. The home was available to children during the winter holidays.

On 10 April 1937, the Fraternitas Lodge was banned and the property was expropriated. In 1941 it served as a training centre for the NS women’s organisation.

In 1946, 15 flats were initially set up in the building. In the following years, ownership and use changed several times.

The former holiday home is now a residential property and a listed building.

Photos: Community newspaper of the Jewish religious community in Dresden, 28 July 1927, Holiday group on the meadow (Jewish Yearbook for Saxony 1931/32)

Start of the 1927 holidays

From the community bulletin of the Jewish religious community No. 3/1927

“Am Sonntag dem 17. Juli, hielten 75 Kinder ihren Einzug in das schöne Ferienheim der Fraternitasloge in Oberrochwitz. Von Eltern und Angehörigen liebevoll geleitet kamen sie an, blasse Gesichter – Kinder der Großstadt! Gesund und kräftig wird diese Abteilung der Ferienkolonie das Heim am 7. August wieder verlassen, um einer zweiten Schar erholungsbedürftiger Kinder Platz zu machen, die vom 7. bis zum 28. August im Heim Aufnahme finden sollen. In hellen luftigen Räumen sind die Kinder teils in Schlafzimmern, teils in Einzelzimmern untergebracht. Schöne Baderäume stehen zur Verfügung und werden eifrig benutzt. Dreimal in jeder Woche kommt ein Turnlehrer ins Heim, der mit den Kindern turnt und spielt. In einem zum Heim gehörigen Luftbad werden die jungen Kinder der heilkräftigen Wirkung von Luft und Sonne ausgesetzt.[…] Jede Woche werden die Kinder vom Arzt untersucht; je ein Krankenzimmer für Knaben und für Mädchen, die glücklicherweise in den seltensten Fällen belegt sind, steht zur Verfügung. Reichlich gesunde Kost – viel Gemüse und viel Obst – wird verabreicht. Spaziergänge in den Wald und Ausflüge in die Umgebung sorgen für Abwechslung, und die strahlenden Gesichter der Kinder beweisen, wie wohl sie sich in dem Heim fühlen. […]”

[On Sunday 17 July, 75 children arrived at the beautiful holiday home of the Fraternitas Lodge in Oberrochwitz. Lovingly guided by parents and relatives, they arrived, with pale faces – children of the big city! Healthy and strong, this section of the holiday colony will leave the home again on 7 August to make way for a second group of children in need of rest and recuperation, who will be accommodated in the home from 7 to 28 August. The children are accommodated in bright, airy rooms, some in bunk rooms and some in single rooms. Beautiful bathrooms are available and are eagerly used. Three times a week, a gymnastics teacher comes to the home to do gymnastics and play with the children. In an air bath belonging to the home, the young children are exposed to the healing effects of air and sun. […] Every week the children are examined by a doctor; there is one sick room for boys and one for girls, which fortunately are rarely occupied. Plenty of healthy food – lots of vegetables and fruit – is provided. Walks in the forest and excursions into the neighbourhood provide variety, and the children’s beaming faces prove how comfortable they feel in the home. […]]

 

Am Kirschberg 19
Haus von Ehepaar Klemperer: 1932 Grundstück erworben, 1934 fertiggestellt, von 1940-45 mussten Klemperers in „Judenhäusern“ wohnen.

House of the Klemperer couple

From 1920, Victor Klemperer (1881-1960) was a full professor of Romance studies at the Dresden University of Technology. Eva Klemperer, née Schlemmer (1882-1951), was a musician and painter. In 1932, Eva and Victor Klemperer bought the property at Am Kirschberg 19 in Dresden-Dölzschen and began to have a house built according to Eva’s designs with the architect Karl Prätorius. After the NSDAP came to power in 1933, they found themselves in dire financial straits. Victor Klemperer was persecuted because of his Jewish origins, but Eva, as a non-Jew, stuck by him – despite hardship and persecution.

The couple moved into their house in October 1934. Eva Klemperer planted a fruit and flower garden. On 30 April 1935, Prof. Klemperer was dismissed without notice for being Jewish. When he was also banned from accessing libraries and subscribing to newspapers and magazines, he nevertheless painstakingly continued his academic work. He observed and described the language of the Third Reich under the abbreviation LTI (Lingua Tertii Imperii) and kept a conscientious diary. At personal risk, Eva regularly took manuscripts and diary pages to her friend Dr Annemarie Köhler (1893-1948) in Pirna, who hid them and kept them safe from the Gestapo.

In May 1940, the Klemperers were evicted from their home and sent to the Judenhaus [Jewish house] at Caspar-David-Friedrich-Str. 15b, which they had to share with other families. The grocer Berger opened a shop in their own house. Victor Klemperer was forced to perform forced labour in Dresden factories.

After the bombing raid on 13 February 1945, in which their former accommodation in the  Judenhaus at Zeughausstraße 1 was completely destroyed, the couple managed to flee to Bavaria and the Klemperers were able to return to their home in June 1945. They took part in the rebuilding of Dresden’s cultural life, and from December 1945 Victor Klemperer ran the adult education centre. From 1947, he was a professor of Romance studies at the universities of Greifswald, Halle and Berlin. He also critically observed the language of the GDR.

Eva Klemperer died in 1951. In 1952, Victor Klemperer married the Romance philologist Hadwig Kirchner (1926-2010). He lived with her – with interruptions – in this house until he died in 1960. Eva and Victor Klemperer are buried in the cemetery in Dölzschen, Hadwig Klemperer in the Old Catholic Cemetery in Dresden-Friedrichstadt next to her parents.

Dresden-Dölzschen, Am Kirschberg 19 (photo taken in November 1998)

The former home of the Klemperer couple. SLUB, Deutsche Fotothek, photograph: Christian Borchert

Victor Klemperer, around 1930, SLUB. Deutsche Fotothek, photograph: Ursula Richter

Eva Klemperer (photographed for her identity card, issued on 13 December 1940 in Dresden). SLUB, Deutsche Fotothek, photograph: unknown photographer

Eva and Victor Klemperer on a drive in 1936 in their second-hand Opel, which they had to hand in in 1940. SLUB, Deutsche Fotothek, photograph: unknown photographer

 

Some ordinances that restricted the Klemperers‘ lives 

7 April 1933: „Gesetz zur Wiederherstellung des Berufsbeamtentums“ [Law for the Restoration of the Professional Civil Service]: Civil servants who are of non-Aryan descent are to be retired. Exceptions are made for those who fought in the First World War: „Zur Vereinfachung der Verwaltung können Beamte in den Ruhestand versetzt werden, auch wenn sie noch nicht dienstunfähig sind.“ [To simplify administration, civil servants can be retired even if they are not yet unfit for duty.]

12 April 1933: „Ausführungsbestimmungen zum Beamtengesetz“ [Implementing provisions of the Civil Service Act] defines who exactly is considered Jewish

December 1938: The Reichsanstalt für Arbeitsvermittlung und Arbeitslosenversicherung issues guidelines for the closed labour deployment of Jews.

1 April 1940: The district leadership of the NSDAP and the housing department of the city welfare office set up so-called Judenhäuser [Jewish houses] in Dresden.

19 September 1941: The “ Polizeiverordnung über die Kennzeichnung der Juden“ [police decree on the identification of Jews] comes into force.

27 October 1941: Order by the district leadership of the NSDAP: Jews must hand in all typewriters.

Victor Klemperer as chronicler

In 1947, his book „LTI – Notizbuch eines Philologen“ was published by Aufbau-Verlag Berlin:

„Aber Sprache dichtet und denkt nicht nur für mich, sie lenkt auch mein Gefühl, sie steuert mein ganzes seelisches Wesen, je selbstverständlicher, je unbewußter ich mich ihr überlasse. [But language does not only write and think for me, it also directs my feelings, it controls my entire psychological being, the more naturally, the more unconsciously I surrender myself to it.]

„Am Abend dieses 13. Februar brach die Katastrophe über Dresden herein: Die Bomben fielen, die Häuser stürzten, der Phosphor strömte, die brennenden Balken krachten auf arische und nichtarische Köpfe, und derselbe Feuersturm riß Jud und Christ in den Tod; wen aber von den etwa 70 Sternträgern diese Nacht verschonte, dem bedeutete sie Errettung, denn im allgemeinen Chaos konnte er der Gestapo entkommen. [On the evening of February 13, catastrophe struck Dresden: bombs fell, houses collapsed, phosphorus flowed, burning beams crashed onto Aryan and non-Aryan heads, and the same firestorm killed Jew and Christian alike; but for those of the 70 or so star-bearers who were spared that night, it meant salvation, because in the general chaos they were able to escape the Gestapo.]

The first excerpts from the diaries were printed in instalments in the daily newspaper „Die Union“ in 1987/88. They were published as books from 1995 onwards.

„Was hat mir nun 1934 gebracht? Das Häuschen mit vieler Freude und vielen Sorgen. – Evas im ganzen gehobene Stimmung. – Das stärkere Gefühl der eigenen Todesnähe, […] – Die ersten 72 Seiten meines achtzehnten Jahrhunderts,[…] – Den unsäglichen Druck und Ekel des fortdauernden Hakenkreuzregimes. [So what did 1934 bring me? The little house with lots of joy and lots of worries. – Eva’s overall elevated mood. – The stronger feeling of my own nearness to death, […] – The first 72 pages of my eighteenth century, […] – The unspeakable pressure and disgust of the ongoing swastika regime.] (December 30, 1934)

„Der „Judenstern“ schwarz auf gelbem Stoff, darin mit hebraisierenden Buchstaben „Jude, auf der linken Brust zu tragen, handtellergroß, gegen 10 Pf uns gestern ausgefolgt, von morgen, 19. 9., ab zu tragen. Der Omnibus darf nicht mehr, die Tram nur auf dem Vorderperron benutzt werden. – Eva wird, wenigstens vorläufig, alles Besorgen übernehmen, ich will nur im Schutz der Dunkelheit ein bißchen Luft schöpfen. [The yellow badge in black on yellow fabric, with the Hebrew letters ‚Jew‘ written on it, to be worn on the left breast, the size of the palm of the hand, given to us yesterday for 10 pfennig, to be worn from tomorrow, September 19th. The omnibus is no longer allowed, the tram can only be used on the front platform. – Eva will take over all the errands, at least for the time being, I just want to get some fresh air under the cover of darkness.](September 18, 1941)

Victor Klemperer: Ich will Zeugnis ablegen bis zum letzten. Tagebücher 1933-1945, edited by Walter Nowojski with the collaboration of Hadwig Klemperer. Aufbau-Verlag Berlin 1995.

„Alle meine Vorlesungen und Seminare, in Berlin wie in Halle, sind ein verzweifelter Kampf für die Freiheit des Geistes.“ [All my lectures and seminars, in Berlin as well as in Halle, are a desperate fight for the freedom of the spirit.] (February 20, 1952)

Victor Klemperer: So sitze ich denn zwischen allen Stühlen. Tagebücher 1945-1959, edited by Walter Nowojski with the collaboration of Christian Löser. Aufbau-Verlag Berlin 1999.

 

Fröbelstraße 1
1938 Zweigstelle der privaten Jüdischen Schule, nach Ausschluss der jüdischen Schüler und Schülerinnen aus allen anderen Schulen.

Branch of the Jewish School, Fröbelstraße 1, rear building

From 1933 onwards, life at the state schools became increasingly difficult for Jewish children, so community members founded a private Jewish school.

On April 23, 1935, the Jewish elementary school was opened at Zeughausstrasse 1.

„Manche unserer Dresdner jüdischen Eltern werden gerade in den letzten Tagen Gelegenheit gehabt haben, Schüleraufführungen allgemeiner Volksschulen zu besuchen,…Die werden dabei gesehen haben, mit welcher Hingabe und Liebe diese christlichen Kinder Kundgebungen vaterländischer Art, die in nationalsozialistischem Geist gehalten sind, aufführen. Unsere Kinder müssen sich ausgeschlossen fühlen. Auf unserer jüdischen Schule werden unsere Kinder sich frei und ohne seelische Beklemmungen entwickeln können. Sie werden hier zu aufrechten Menschen, guten Deutschen und guten Juden herangebildet werden. [Some of our Jewish parents in Dresden will have had the opportunity to attend student performances at general elementary schools in the last few days… They will have seen the devotion and love with which these Christian children put on patriotic demonstrations that are in the spirit of National Socialism. Our children must feel excluded. At our Jewish school, our children will be able to develop freely and without emotional anxieties. They will be educated here to become upright people, good Germans and good Jews] (Community newsletter of the Israelite Religious Community of Dresden 1934/12a)

About 100 students could be taught. Due to the ever-tightening legislation against Jews, more and more children from the Dresden area came to this school. The journey was sometimes very arduous, as only students who had to travel more than an hour from their home to school were allowed to use public transport.

For the 1938/39 school year, a branch for the older grades was set up in the rear building of the school at Fröbelstraße 1. Since the school had to support itself, better-off members of the Jewish community helped by donating tables, chairs, shelves and other things. School fees for poor families were also covered. School books had to be requested repeatedly.

School life unfolded within these narrow limits. The Jewish festivals were celebrated, especially the Hanukkah festival. Plays were performed, a Hebrew-speaking choir performed, gymnastics, dancing and round dances were just as much a part of it as the Hanukkah gift giving.

On July 1, 1942, the Reich Minister of the Interior issued the order to close all Jewish schools. Some children were able to emigrate with their parents or alone, many others were deported to the extermination camps.

September 10, 1935 „Eilt sehr!“ [Urgent!] – Decree by Reich Minister Rust on „Rassentrennung auf den öffentlichen Schulen” [racial segregation in public schools]

July 1942 School ban (Diamant p. 326)

School newspaper

Class photo

 

Heidestr. 4 / Großenhainer Straße
Goehle-Werk der Zeiss-Ikon AG, ab 1938 für die Rüstungsproduktion errichtet.

Zwangsarbeit in Dresden – Goehle factory of Zeiss-Ikon AG

In 1938, the Goehle factory was built between Riesaer Straße and Großenhainer Straße in Dresden-Pieschen for armaments production. It was a Reich-owned factory that was handed over to the private company Zeiss-Ikon for use.

„Im Juli 1941 wurde ich in Dresden zur Zwangsarbeit verpflichtet und kam zu Zeiss-Ikon ins Goehle-Werk. Wir wohnten sieben Kilometer von der Fabrik entfernt, und ich durfte anfangs noch mit der Straßenbahn fahren […] Bei Zeiss-Ikon gab es eine sogenannte Judenabteilung mit ungefähr dreihundert Leuten. […] Unser Meister war ein feiner Mensch, der überhaupt keine Notiz davon nahm, dass wir Juden waren. Wir arbeiteten im Akkord und stellten Zeitzünder und Uhrwerke für U-Boote her. Diese Arbeit erforderte hohe Konzentration, Fingerfertigkeit und gutes Augenmaß. Meine Augen haben unter dieser feinmechanischen Arbeit sehr gelitten, da wir täglich stundenlang ohne Pause bei künstlichem Licht mit Lupe und Pinzette arbeiten mussten. Zur gleichen Zeit wie wir kam auch eine Schicht von nichtjüdischen Arbeitern, mit denen wir aber keinen Kontakt haben durften. Schon auf der Treppe war ein Gitter angebracht, um jeglichen Kontakt zu unterbinden.[…] [In July 1941, I was conscripted into forced labour in Dresden and came to Zeiss-Ikon in the Goehle factory. We lived seven kilometres from the factory and I was initially allowed to travel by tram […] Zeiss-Ikon had a so-called Jewish department with about three hundred people. […] Our foreman was a fine man who took no notice at all of the fact that we were Jews. We worked on a piecework basis and made time fuses and clockworks for submarines. This work required a high level of concentration, dexterity and good judgement. My eyes suffered a lot from this precision mechanical work, as we had to work for hours every day without a break in artificial light with magnifying glasses and tweezers. A shift of non-Jewish workers arrived at the same time as us, but we were not allowed to have any contact with them. There was a grille on the stairs to prevent any contact[…]] (Henny Brenner: Das Lied ist aus, 2001 S. S.60f)

In November 1942, at the Gestapo headquarters in Dresden, the district leadership of the NSDAP and plant manager Johannes Hasdenteufel decided to set up the Hellerberg camp for around 300 Jewish forced labourers who worked at the plant.

On 2/3 March 1943, they were deported to the Auschwitz-Birkenau extermination camp. Only a few of them survived.

In 1944/45, Zeiss-Ikon employed at least 2,600 forced labourers and more than 1,000 concentration camp prisoners and women prisoners in its factories in Dresden.

From 9 October 1944 to 13 April 1945, 700 women from subcamps of the Flossenbürg concentration camp worked at the Goehle factory.

After 13 February 1945, armaments production in Dresden came to a standstill.

After 1945, the buildings were initially used by the “Sächsische Volkszeitung“ newspaper and as a variety theatre. The “Sächsische Zeitung” took over the complex as a printing and publishing house. Since 1990, various medium-sized companies have been using the site.

1938 Decree of closed labour deployment for Jewish men

25 February 1943 „Fabrikaktion“ [factory action] – The Reich Security Main Office decreed that Jews were no longer allowed to work in armaments factories.

Picture: Goehle factory, Heidestraße factory front, photo: 1949, SLUB, Deutsche Fotothek.

 

Großer Garten/ Bürgerwiese / Brühlsche Terrasse
Vom 12.08.1940 an war es Juden verboten, den Großen Garten und andere Parks zu betreten. Kunstobjekt Künstlerische Arbeiten von Marion Kahnemann: „Hinsehen“ – Gläserne Bänke

 

Oschatzer Str. 15
Vom Ehepaar Fanger erbautes und bis 1938 betriebenes Kaufhaus. Frau Fanger wurde 1942 nach Theresienstadt deportiert.

Kaufhaus Fanger, Oschatzer Straße 15

In 1898, Benjamin Fanger (1860 – 1930 Dresden) built the Fanger department store at Oschatzer Straße 15 as a business and residential building for his family. After his death, his wife Frieda, née Wollenberg (1860 Gollub – 1943 Theresienstadt) initially continued to run the business.

Their daughter Selma Lotte Fanger (1891 Berlin – 1943 Auschwitz) married Moritz Auerbach (1883 Tremessen – 1943 Auschwitz) in 1918. He initially worked as a department manager in a large department store in Dresden before taking over the management of the Fanger department store. Among other things, Selma Auerbach ran a hosiery shop on the ground floor of the store.

In 1941, they both had to move to the Judenhaus [Jewish House] at Bautzner Straße 20 and perform forced labour at the Goehle factory. Both were deported to the Hellerberg camp on 23/24 November 1942 and to Auschwitz on 2-3 March 1943 after the camp was dissolved.

Elsa Fanger, the second daughter (1893 Berlin – 1994 Australia), lived on the 2nd floor with her husband Hermann Jacobsohn (1887 Carthaus/ Prussia – 1967 Chile). They later emigrated with their daughter Ingeborg, born in 1930.

Owsei Fanger, Benjamin Fanger’s brother, born in 1875 and a tailor by trade, was deported to the Theresienstadt ghetto on 28 July 1942 with his wife Fanny Fanger, née Schmerzler, born in Kolomea in 1888 and also a tailor. Both survived, returned to Dresden in June 1945 and became active members of the Jewish community in Dresden. Their son Alfred Fanger, born in 1931, was sent to Belgium by his parents in 1939, was arrested during the German occupation there, deported to Auschwitz on 31 July 1944 and killed there.

From 1933, Frieda Fanger rented business premises to Hava – Haus der vielen Artikel GmbH, managed by Max Brecher and Max Rosenbaum.

On 1 April 1933, shortly before Easter, the NSDAP called for a boycott of Jewish businesses, which also affected this shop. „Ein SA-Mann mit Gewehr stand vor dem Eingang, niemand kam herein, der Laden war leer. Der Chef forderte die Angestellten auf: ‚Nehmen Sie sich wenigstens vom Osterzeug!‘ Aber den Verkäuferinnen war der Appetit vergangen. Im Frühjahr 1938 wurde das Foto gemacht. Der Nazi-Obmann stellte sich nicht mit dazu und wollte auch die Angestellten davon abhalten. Dann erfolgte die Geschäftsübergabe an Casper & Co, die ‚Arisierung‘. Die Gründe erfuhren die Angestellten nicht. Es hieß nur: ‚Ab morgen gibt es einen neuen Geschäftsführer.` Danach gingen viele, auch ich. Es war eben nicht mehr so richtig.

[An SA man with a rifle stood in front of the entrance, nobody came in, the shop was empty. The boss told the employees: ‘At least take some of the Easter stuff! But the shop assistants had lost their appetite. The photo was taken in the spring of 1938. The Nazi boss did not join in and also wanted to stop the employees from doing so. Then the business was handed over to Casper & Co, the ‘Aryanisation’. The employees were not told the reasons. They were only told: ‘From tomorrow there will be a new managing director’. It just wasn’t right any more.] (from the report by Käthe Widemann, a saleswoman at Hava at the time).

Ordinances:

14 January 1938 Dritte Verordnung zum Reichsbürgergesetz [Third Ordinance to the Reich Citizenship Act]

    • 1. (1) Ein Gewerbebetrieb gilt als jüdisch, wenn der Inhaber Jude […] ist. [A commercial enterprise shall be deemed Jewish if the owner is a Jew […].]

(2) Der Gewerbebetrieb einer offenen Handelsgesellschaft oder einer Kommanditgesellschaft gilt als jüdisch, wenn ein oder mehrere persönlich haftende Gesellschafter Juden sind. [The commercial enterprise of a general partnership or a limited partnership shall be deemed to be Jewish if one or more general partners are Jews.]

    • 17. Der Reichswirtschaftsminister wird ermächtigt, im Einvernehmen mit dem Reichsminister des Innern und dem Stellvertreter des Führers anzuordnen, dass Gewerbebetriebe, die in dem Verzeichnis der jüdischen Gewerbebetriebe eingetragen sind, von einem noch zu bestimmenden Zeitpunkt ab ein besonders Kennzeichen führen müssen. [The Reich Minister of Economics is authorised, in agreement with the Reich Minister of the Interior and the Deputy Führer, to order that commercial enterprises entered in the list of Jewish commercial enterprises must display a special identification mark from a date to be determined.]

Fig. 1: The Fanger department stores at Oschatzer Straße 15 around 1900

Fig. 2: The employees of the Hava, spring 1938, a few weeks before the handover of the business

 

Weitere Erinnerungsorte – Gedenktafeln und Gedenksteine

1 Stele am Hasenberg

Sie erinnert an die alte Synagoge, 1840 erbaut und eingeweiht. Sie wurde am 9./10. November 1938 in Brand gesteckt und anschließend abgerissen.

2 Erinnerungsort Neuer Jüdischer Friedhof Fiedlerstraße 3

Der neue israelitische Friedhof wurde 1867 angelegt. Nach 1945 wurden die Bombenschäden beseitigt und die Trauerhalle zur Synagoge umgebaut.

 

3 Gedenktafel am Bahnhof Neustadt Schlesischer Platz 1

Am Bahnhof Neustadt erinnert eine Gedenktafel an die Deportationen aus Dresden. Sie begannen mit der Abschiebung von 724 Juden polnischer Herkunft am 28.10.1938 und endeten erst mit dem 13. 2.1945. Manche Transporte gingen vom Güterbahnhof Leipziger Straße ab.

 

4 Gedenktafel an der Kreuzkirche

Die Gedenktafel an der Kreuzkirche erinnert an die verfolgten und ermordeten jüdischen Bürger und die Gleichgültigkeit ihnen gegenüber.

5 Gedenktafel am heutigen Güntzpalast Güntzstraße 28

Das Henriettenstift wurde1852 zunächst als Asylheim für Bedürftige erbaut, dann als jüdisches Altersheim eingerichtet. Die Bewohner wurden 1942 deportiert.

 

6 Gedenktafel am Georg-Arnhold Bad Helmut-Schön-Allee 2

Georg Arnhold stiftete 1926 der Stadt Dresden das Freibad. 1934 wurde es umbenannt, Juden der Zutritt verboten.

 

7 Rosenstraße/ Florastraße 62/80

Rüstungsbetrieb, Außenlager des KZ Flossenbürg. Etwa 700 Frauen und Mädchen leisteten hier Zwangsarbeit.

 

8 Gedenkstein Fritz-Schreiter-Straße 40

Im Zweigwerk des MIAG-Konzerns wurden seit Mitte 1944 KZ-Häftlinge, darunter viele jüdische, zur Arbeit beim Panzerbau gezwungen, zeitweise bis zu 1000 Menschen. Einige Stockwerke dienten ihnen auch als Unterkunft. Ende April 1945 wurde das Lager aufgelöst. Viele der Häftlinge wurden auf einen Todesmarsch geschickt, die anderen mit der Bahn nach Böhmen transportiert.

 

9 Gedenktafel Schandauer Straße 68

In der ehemaligen Tabakfabrik wurde 1944 mit dem „Metallwerk Striesen“ Rüstungsproduktion eingerichtet, bei der etwa 500 Juden aus dem KZ Stutthof Zwangsarbeit leisten mussten. Unter diesen Häftlingen befanden sich ganze Familien im Alter zwischen 4 und 68 Jahren. Mehr als 80 Personen kamen nachweislich ums Leben.

 

10 Gedenkstein Ecke Pillnitzer Straße/Rietschelstraße

Die Untersuchungshaftanstalt Dresden II, auch „Mathilde“ genannt, wurde 1933 wiedereröffnet, um politische Gegner der Nationalsozialisten einzusperren. Seit 1938 wurden hier auch viele Juden inhaftiert. Bei der Zerstörung des Gebäudes am 13./14. Februar 1945 starben auch viele Häftlinge.

 

11 Gedenkstein Wehlener Straße

Im Urnenhain Tolkewitz ist eine Gedenkstätte für 213 Opfer der Konzentrationslager Schwarzheide und Flossenbürg gestaltet, die als Zwangsarbeiter in Dresden starben, ermordet wurden oder durch Luftangriffe umkamen

 

12 Gedenktafel Max-Sachs-Straße 2

Dr. Max Sachs, an dessen Wohnhaus sich die Gedenktafel befindet, war Politikwissenschaftler und Redakteur der Sächsischen Volkszeitung und von 1920 bis 1933 Landtagsabgeordneter der SPD sowie in den 1920er Jahren Dresdner Stadtverordneter. 1935 wurde er verhaftet und im KZ Sachsenburg zu Tode gefoltert.

 

13 Liebigstraße 30

Gedenktafel für die Familie Liffmann, die 1934 das Haus verlassen musste.

14 Gedenkstein Barbarossaplatz

Der Gedenkstein erinnert an Rosa Menzer, die aus einer orthodoxen jüdischen Familie stammte und seit 1908 in Dresden lebte. Sie engagierte sich in der kommunistischen Bewegung. Sie wurde 1942 in der Tötungsanstalt Bernburg ermordet.

 

15 Gedenkstätte Münchner Platz

 

Die Gedenkstätte im Richthof am Münchner Platz ist den durch Sondergerichte, Wehrmachtsjustiz und Oberlandesgerichte zum Tode verurteilten und hier hingerichteten Menschen gewidmet.

16 Gedenkstele Tiergartenstraße 28

Das Denkmal erinnert an die 1945 zerstörte Villa von Lisa und Heinrich Arnhold. Heinrich Arnhold war Mitbegründer der Gesellschaft der Förderer und Freunde der Technischen Hochschule Dresden. Das Haus der Familie war ein gesellschaftlicher Treffpunkt.